bg

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Cancun, Mexico or Bust!

Bright and early Wednesday, July 13, Mike and I made our way to the Des Moines airport for the start of a very relaxing, warm (I'll use warm instead of hot for those of you in the Midwest sweating it out this week :) and amazing week.
Headed to Cancun!
 We made it to Cancun late Wednesday afternoon and found just enough time to dip our toes in the water, enjoy a tottie by the beach, catch a meal at Himitsu showcasing oriental cuisine and calling it a night shortly after watching the dolphins play in the water outside our balcony window.  Sounds too good to be true huh?  Mike and I were blown away with Dreams Resort and Spa and took full advantage of the all-inclusiveness.  Just ask Mike and I how many steaks we enjoyed despite everyone else who seemed to be dining on seafood.  We're trying to support the beef industry right :)
Mike's first stop before hitting the beach.
Thursday we realized we still did know how to sleep in despite Ruby's early morning wake-up calls.  We played bum most of the day and took it easy.  We found a comfy spot under a tikki in front of the beach and soaked in the heat while taking cover in the shade.  Not quite ready for a blistering burn the first day on vacation!
First day view from the comfort of a tikki hut.
Friday was another sleep in kind of day with swimming, snorkeling,  laying out, and enjoying lunch on the beach.  It was amazing to me that waiters ran along the beach all day and took drink and food orders so you never had to get off your lounge chair if you didn't want to.  Mike and I took in massages in the afternoon which was interesting in itself.  I refrained from giggling and Mike did his best not to gag over the "fragrance" they kept waving in front of our faces.  We really did enjoy them, but I don't think that we are spa people :)  Then we enjoyed a great supper and sunset to wrap up the day.
Self portrait while waiting for the sun to set.

Saturday morning we decided to hit up the market and do our best at haggling.  I am always up for a great bargain and I thought it would be a piece of cake, but man do those shop keepers throw down a hard bargain.  Needless to say Mike was better at it than I and we walked away with only a necklace and a few other goodies from the mall next door.  That afternoon was more swimming, snorkeling, and another great meal.  We also got to catch a rare sight at the resort.  Twice a year they release the baby turtles that are laid on their beaches and then hatched.  It just so happened to be when we were there so we got to take part in the send off.  Those little turtles were darn cute.  Unfortunately only kids could hold one to send off, but had I been younger you bet I would have held onto one and sent him off on his way.


Swim little guys...swim!
By Sunday Mike and I were anxious to finally get our chance to swim with the dolphins located at our resort.  We had been watching them all week from our balcony and now it was our turn to take a dip.  It was a blast.  Mike and I had the chance to touch the dolphins, make them splash and sing, have them jump over us, feed them and give them a good old belly rub like a dog.  Dolphins are such gentle animals and that was one of those things that is truly a once in a lifetime experince for both of us.
One of the dolphins, Nuk, who we got to swim with!
As Sunday was our last day we enjoyed swimming, snorkeling, views, and food for the last time.  That night we got to see an amazing fire show at the resort...

FIRE SHOW

After the show Mike and I indulged one last time and ordered room service despite our already eaten supper not too long ago.
Mike with our 10:30 p.m. room service.  Steak for him and fruit and desserts for me!
 Monday morning we packed up and anxiously made our way back to Des Moines.  We made it back around 10:30 p.m. and I was beyond ready to see little Ruby Grace!  The mere mention of her name made me about lose it so I was beyond excited to see Ruby meet us at the airport with Uncle Ryan!  She was a little sleepy and kind of out of it, but I think mommy blubbering like a baby confused her more than anything :)  Not only were we surprised with Ruby at the airport but my two nieces who came along with my mom to help babysit Ruby, made us a Welcome Home banner!  It was adorable and they were so excited to show it off for us.
Teylor and Taryn and their poster for us.
Adios amigos!