11 weeks, 158 miles, and far too many early mornings before school. All for what you might ask? Training for the Des Moines Dam to Dam 20K.
Today all my hard work went into effect and I took my turn at conquering a Des Moines classic. The race started at 7 am and I found myself amongst thousands of other 20K runners. Couldn't for the life of me find a single soul I knew so I cozied up next to a young couple that looked about my age and ran about my pace for the first few miles. We wound our way from Saylorville Dam to downtown Des Moines passing cornfields and acreages for the majority of the first half. I wasn't sure what to expect but only ran across three real hills and trust me, I took full advantage of my abnormally long legs to open up my stride and "float" down those hills.
Ran across my boss about half way through and chatted with him before hitting another hill and finding myself once again in the midst of strangers all on a mission to run! I can proudly say I did not stop and ran the full distance. Only problem at the end was remembering correctly what 400 meters looks like. Quite deceiving when you see the 400 meter sign and the finish line behind it. Too bad I never was and never will be a sprinter. I'm pretty sure I didn't look like I was sprinting, but in my mind I sure was :) By the time I hit the 200 meter mark remaining I was ready to throw in the towel and head for the drinks! Sure enough though, the 100 meter remaining sign approached and the crowd was there in full support to bring us in the last 100 meters.
I crossed that line! Quite an accomplishment! One I don't see myself doing again in the near future. Maybe again some day, but for now I'm just happy I've still got it with all the other obstacles life can through at you.
My time you ask? Never ask a slow runner such things :) Peace out!